Wednesday, July 27, 2005

on our great High Priest........

This is the text Jamie asked about. It was written by Charitie Lees De Chenez in about 1863. Like many other old texts, it has been recently set to a new tune. If you want to put it to your own tune, you can figure out the meter by counting the syllables in each line. There is probably a metrical index of tunes in your favorite hymnal. This one is 8s--sometimes called long meter(LM). If you don't already know the current tune, you can sing it to the tune for Just As I Am or When I Survey. Look in your hymnal for others that will work. By the way, LMD (long meter double) tunes will work--you'll just use up two verses on one run of the tune. Play around with hymns and you'll begin to hear the words you've always sung......



Before the throne of God above
I have a strong, a perfect plea:
A great High Priest, whose name is Love,
Who ever lives and pleads for me.

My name is graven on his hands,
My name is written on his heart;
I know that while in heaven he stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart.

When Satan tempts me to despair,
And tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look, and see him there
Who made an end of all my sin.

Because the sinless Savior died,
My sinful soul is counted free;
For God, the Just, is satisfied
To look on him and pardon me.

Behold him there! the risen Lamb!
My perfect, spotless Righteousness,
The great unchangeable I AM,
The King of glory and of grace!

One with himself, I cannot die;
My soul is purchased by his blood;
My life is hid with Christ on high,
With Christ, my Savior and my God.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can hear this song in my head as I read it and I know that it has recently been recorded or that I've seen it on the Powerpoint screen at church somewhere. Can you tell me who released it?

19/8/05 19:51  

Post a Comment

<< Home