Thursday, August 11, 2005

on brotherly love.........

Oh, to be above our own ambition and pride and esteem others better than ourselves. Brethren, strive for it today!


How sweet, how heav’nly is the sight,
When those who love the Lord
In one another’s peace delight,
And so fulfil his word.

When each can feel his brother’s sigh,
And with him bear a part,
When sorrow flows from eye to eye,
And joy from heart to heart.

When free from envy, scorn and pride,
Our wishes all above,
Each can his brother’s failings hide,
And show a brother’s love.

When love in one delightful stream
Thru ev’ry bosom flows,
Then union sweet and dear esteem
In ev’ry action glows.

Love is the golden chain that binds
The happy souls above,
And he’s an heir of heav’n who finds
His bosom glow with love.

–Joseph Swain

3 Comments:

Blogger Laura Kathryn said...

Oh I love that "new" verse! The middle one is not in the OSH and it's so good! This is one of those songs that gives me chill bumps cause I know it from experience.
-KGreen

11/8/05 16:07  
Blogger ShapeNoteSinger said...

I learned this song with your precious grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins in Arkansas back in 2000.....a memory I will always treasure.

Oh for the day when the whole song is true!

xo

11/8/05 16:17  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know it's not in one of your OLD books probably but I've been singing myself to sleep each night with "My Jesus I Love The". Wondered if you'd post it here and sing with me!
Love you
Kebby

15/8/05 16:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home